Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Member Spotlight - All For Jasmine

This member spotlight is very special and MFJoE is interviewing Elisa of All for Jasmine, a 12-year old polymer clay artisan that has a true passion for tiny food jewelry and her Boston terrier, Jasmine.


Let’s start by telling everyone a little bit about yourself
I'm 12 years old and I live with my mom, my dogs Jasmine and Zorro, my cat Dreamer, and my chinchilla Santana in the San Francisco Bay area.

How did you start into/begin crafting miniature food jewelry?
I've been working with polymer clay since I was about four.  I'd gotten some air dry clay for my birthday but got frustrated with it because it dried SO fast.  So my mom got me some polymer clay and I was hooked!  I started out making little animals...bunnies and things and gave most of them away to my mom and my family.  I started making miniature food about a year and a half ago then started making them into jewelry items.


Describe your Etsy shop?  How did you come up with the name?
My dog, Jasmine, is the reason I started my Etsy shop.  Jasmine is a Boston Terrier and I've had her since I was three (she was six weeks old).  She's been my best friend ever since.

About 3 years ago, Jasmine started having eye problems and eventually had to have her left eye removed.  She has a prosthetic one now but she has to be on eye drops for the rest of her life.  She also has really bad allergies and has to get shots once a week..also for the rest of her life. 

I know that her meds are really expensive and I wanted to help out with paying for them.  That's when my mom helped me to open my shop!  All the money goes towards Jasmine's medicine and vet bills.  Of all the things I have ever made, the things I make to help Jasmine give me the most joy to create. :)


Do you have any formal training or are you self-taught?
I guess you could say I'm partly self taught.  I've always loved art.  I also love drawing and cooking/baking.  My mom has always been really supportive and bought me every book imaginable.  I really love Maureen Carlson's style and I learned all of the basics from her books and videos but I always love picking up new things.  My mom often reminds me that no one knows absolutely everything...there's always something new to learn!


What's the ONE thing that as an artisan, you couldn't live without?
I'd be lost without my clay knife...it's really just a little paring knife but I use it SO much!  I cut clay with it, use the back to decorate, etc.

How has being a part of Etsy helped you in your craft and/or in your business?
Being a part of Etsy has helped me a lot!  I'm more of a perfectionist now when it comes to my creations.  I was never messy or anything like that.  My mom taught me to "work clean" but the pieces I make for the shop are so important so I like to make sure they're as close to perfect as I can get.



What do you like about the MFJoE Team?
I love being a part of the MFJoE team!  It's so cool to see all the great work that other artists doing.

Please take a look around Elisa's shop and see her amazing creations!  We can't wait to see what you'll make next!!

Until Later!  ®oscata

2 comments:

  1. What a great Member Spotlight, awesome job Elisa! Your work is awesome, and I love that you help your mom out with Jasmine's vet bills and medicine costs!! Keep up the great work!
    ~Stevie
    Sweet Cherry Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she is TWELVE?!? It is crazy how much talent and passion she has at such a young age. I admire this little girl so much now that I've read this. What a sweet, generous person she must be!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments- we appreciate them!